Monday, September 30, 2013

Once Upon A Lunch Date

Yesterday was a beautiful day.

You know, time can seem so short or long depending on our attitude. I have been convicted of this many a time in my own life. It's just interesting. How we can set off on a one-week mission trip and think "YES, I am going to build relationships, and love on kids, and work really hard, and change the WORLD." Then we go back home and back to our normal schedules and think "Well, I'm only here for one more week...there's obviously no point in building relationships or being intentional."

I've had this conversation with people. I've seen different attitudes. I've seen those who live on mission in their daily lives. I've seen others who I question if they've ever lived at all.. I think about my own story, I think about the one girl who God used to reach me - how He used her that day and how my life was radically transformed because of it. I think about how I mention her every time I tell my story; how her obedience created this incredible butterfly effect.

I think about how she had no idea.

See the thing is, it only took one lunch date for the Lord to use Alexa. My re-conversion story in a nutshell was that I was a lost freshman. I had gone through high school lost in partying and a destructive relationship; and by the end of it all I was ready for a fresh start. I was searching for the purpose of life, though I was pretty sure there was none.

My first week at college I was invited to a lifegroup. At that group, I listened to the leader of the group share her testimony. She talked about her past of depression and brokenness and the redemption she had found in Christ. Later that week, Alexa asked me if I wanted to go to lunch with her. I don't even remember what our conversation was about, but I do remember the light of Christ that so clearly shined on the face of the girl sitting across from me. It was in that moment that God opened my heart to the purpose of life - the love and joy that only comes from knowing Jesus Christ. I never went back to Alexa's lifegroup, but a few days after that lunch date - alone, in the quiet of my dorm room, I re-dedicated my life to Christ.

A couple of years later the Lord called me to ministry and took me places I never would have imagined. I have come to know the intimate, precious love of Jesus. All because one girl decided to be obedient to the cross right where she was.

So that's when I was reminded - my goodness, our God is creative. He can use us in our homes, workplaces, and activities just as much as in the safaris of Africa. He can use us over the span of two years, in a one-hour lunch date, or in a thirty-second prayer.

I decided to message Alexa yesterday. The Lord kept placing this on my heart and I knew He wanted me to share. After all, I had talked about her to hundreds of people over the last several years - and she had no idea! The thing is, most of us will probably never see or know how God has used us, but better believe He does when we submit to His will and desire to glorify Him with our lives. That is faith. Trusting that the Lord is using you and not believing the lies that you are worthless or your life meaningless.

Love others. Be intentional. Right now. Right where you are. I know it's not easy - what is easy: waiting for marriage/career/being settled, laziness, self-centeredness, superficial relationships, walls around your heart, selfishness with your time, love of the world. BUT. We are called to be different. We are commanded to INSTEAD, love one another. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35).

"This message really re-envisioned me to just love the person in front of me and pursue relationship. I seriously feel encouraged to sow broadly and trust Jesus with the seeds that I sow." - Alexa Wible

No comments:

Post a Comment