Monday, April 16, 2012

The Day of Rest


Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 20: 8-11

It never fails to amaze me how perfect our God is. He created our bodies so uniquely and wonderfully, and they serve as our personal temples that He dwells in. It's crazy how the body works. Our bodies need nourishment from food and daily sleep to continue to function the way it should. It's easy for us to skimp over the small things, we abuse our bodies and try to play "superman," by trying to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders throughout the week. We suffer from an inability to sit still, we constantly desire to go go go, we push our selves and our bodies to its limit- BUT the Lord, being the wonderful and amazing Father He is, anticipated us bearing a long, hard work week. So, He specifically created the Sabbath to give us rest. And you know what, there is something about Sundays where a calm, peaceful atmosphere never fails to overcome my day. After being guilty of succumbing to worries and stress throughout last week, God brought me on my knees on this wonderful Sunday to remind me of His promise; to remind me to run to Him for rest and for peace.

I am so grateful for Sundays, and today truly enjoyed worship, meeting a new friend, having lunch with a good one, and spending the evening with my roommates. Sometimes when we stop and allow God to bring us rest, our day ends up filled with so much more love and joy than when we try to squeeze in everything ourselves.

He promises us guidance in all things- all we have to do is let go. Easier said than done though, right?

On another note, I just finished writing my support letters and will begin sending them out this week! I am so excited for God to build this team for me- to support, pray, and encourage me throughout this process. For those who will be on my team, you are all already a huge blessing to me. I know this summer will be a big stretching experience, filled with challenges. I am already praying for empowerment, boldness, and flexibility for trying times that are up ahead; but I am excited to have a supportive community being my personal "cheerleaders" back at home; excited to see my friends and family come together as the true body of Christ; and excited to see what God will reveal to me and those praying throughout this journey that we will take together!

No comments:

Post a Comment